Even though the Bible does not address abortion specifically, most Christians will agree that abortion is wrong. Bible-believing Christians also agree that when a woman chooses to have an abortion, they are committing a sinful act. In forming their beliefs about abortions, Christians turn to what the Bible says about babies in the womb.
Scriptures regarding God's view on unborn babies:
- Jeremiah 1:5 - God knows babies while in their mother's womb
- Psalm 139:13-16 - God created babies in their mother's womb
- Exodus 21:22-25 - God commands death for whoever kills a baby in the womb
- Genesis 1:26-27 and Genesis 9:6 - We are made in God's image
Arguments Against a Christian's Stance on Abortion
Cases of Rape or Incest
Christians understand that when a woman chooses to abort her baby, it is sometimes due to a horrific event such as being raped or an act of incest against them. While these events are indeed tragic, they are still not reasons to have an abortion. In any instance, Christians believe that good can overcome evil. By choosing to have an abortion, an innocent life is being unfairly punished.
The Mother's Life is in Danger
This can be a very difficult decision for both the mother and the father of the baby. It is always good to pray for wisdom and to remember that God is a God of miracles who will protect both the mother and baby. More often than not, a mother is well aware going into the pregnancy if it is going to be a risk to her health. A mother might already have a medical condition that makes having a baby high risk so she can choose in advance whether or not to try to become pregnant or choose to adopt instead.
There are instances when the mother's health might become compromised during the pregnancy. However, with the advance of medical technology this is rarely the case. It would also be an option for the baby to be delivered early in order to protect the mother's health. Babies outside of the womb can be viable as early as 22 weeks.
- Less than 5 percent: Research shows that less than 5 percent of all abortions performed are because the mother was raped, there was an act of incest or her life was at risk.
- Less than one-tenth of one percent: When it comes to the mother's life being at risk, the rate is even lower. Less than one-tenth of one percent of abortions are performed for this reason.
- 95 percent: These statistics prove that 95 percent of all abortions are simply due to the fact the woman did not want the baby.
Abortion is Forgivable
It is important to remember that there is no unforgivable sin - even abortion. Jesus died on the cross so that all sins could be forgiven. No matter what the reason for the abortion, He will forgive the woman who chose to have an abortion. He will even forgive the man who encouraged the abortion and the doctor who performed it. All it takes for forgiveness is to recognize the sin and ask God to forgive.